My BBQ Sause
1/3 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
Mix ingredients together and warm on medium heat until blended and smooth with sugar melted in.
Add more brown sugar for sweeter sauce.
Add more mustard for tangier sauce.
You can also make it your own by adding honey, pepper, liquid smoke, or your favorite spices.
Toad in the Hole
While I as on a book tour I meet a woman who had immigrated to the United States and brought with her many recipes. I loved this soup so much that she gave me the recipe to share. It took me a little bit to convert the recipe over into American measurements, but here it is:
This was one of the first recipes my dad taught me to make. He called it "Toad in the Hole".
1 slice of Bread
Warm up a medium pan at medium heat.
Coat the pan with butter so it melts and toasts the bread.
Cut a hole in the bread (I tried to do a heart)
Put the bread in the pan and then crack the egg and put it inside the bread.
Cook for desired length (however you like your eggs).
Leif's Favorite Cookies (No bake)
1 stick of butter2 C sugar4 T cocoa powder ( the kind that has no sugar )3/4 C peanut butter1 t VanillaI put it all in the sauce pan together. When it comes to a rolling boil, boil 1-1/2 minutes. When the humidity is high, a little longer.Pour over 3 C oatmeal. ( do not use instant oatmeal). Drop by spoonfuls on wax paper.
2 Big Onions
2/3 C. Olive Oil
2/3 T. Ground Cumin
2/3 T. Ground Turmeric
1 t. Ground paprika
1/2 t. Ground All Spice
1/2 t. Ground Cinnamon
2 T. Salt
1/2 t. Ground Black Pepper
2/3 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1 T. Whole Coriander Seeds
8 Bay Leaves
1/2 t. Red Pepper Flakes
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Chop Onions and fry golden brown in olive oil.
Add all spices and coat well.
8 Cups of broth
1 24 oz can of crushed tomatoes
A piece of fresh ginger
2 cups of red lentils
Boil 35 Min
1 1/2 T. of Red Wine Vinegar
3 1/2 T. of Lemon Juice
Bring to a boil for 5 min
Add a bit of chopped cilantro and parsley before serving.
Stuffed Peppers (Vegetarian)
3 cups cooked rice
1 can black beans
1/2 jar of veggie Prego sauce
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup corn (optional)
2 cups cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pot, boil the peppers until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and dry.
In a large skillet add the rice, beans Prego sauce, onion and cheese. Stir until all the cheese is melted and is mixed well.
Stuff the bell peppers with the rice mixture and place in the baking dish. Bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling is heated through, 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
WHOLE WHEAT BREAD from the Monks of The Holy Trinity
I'm starting to collect interesting recipes from different people I meet on my quests.
Thank you to the Monks of The Holy Trinity for sharing this bread recipe.
Here is the recipe (makes two large loaves). The ratio of whole wheat and white flour may be adjusted somewhat to suit individual preferences.
WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
3 cups water 2 packages active dry yeast 1/4 cup Trinity Abbey liquid honey (or light brown sugar or molasses) 2 teaspoons salt 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 cups white bread flour or all purpose white flour 6 cups unsifted whole wheat flour (more or less)
1. In saucepan, heat water to 100 F. Stir in honey. Pour into mixer bowl; sprinkle yeast over warm water/honey and stir in. Wait for bubbles to appear.
2. Thoroughly mix in 2 cups white flour with spoon until smooth. Let mixture rest for half hour in warm place; mixture will foam.
3. Using mixer or spoon, slowly mix in 1 cup whole wheat flour. Add olive oil and salt
4. Continue adding whole wheat flour until dough reaches right consistency (just slightly sticky). Check consistency with clean, dry hands. If too dry, add a few drops of water. If too wet, add a little more whole wheat flour. Knead dough for ten minutes on floured surface. Place dough in large greased bowl. Turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in warm place (85 F) until doubled in size (about an hour).
5. Knock down dough by pushing fist into center. Fold outer edges into the hole and push fist into center again. Repeat this knock down two times more. Turn dough upside down and shape into round ball. Divide in two loaves and place in greased pans, 9 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 2 3/4". (Optional:) Brush top with oil or soft butter for darker crust.
6. Final rise and baking. Cover pans and return them to a warm place for second rise. Preheat oven to 350 F. Let loaves rise until pans are almost entirely filled with dough (less than one hour).
Bake in middle of oven at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes.
Turn baked loaves out of pans onto cooling rack. Enjoy!
Thank you to the Monks of The Holy Trinity for sharing.
Zombie Ice Cream
I used walnuts for the brains!!!
Added coloring and flavoring.
And used strawberry topping for blood.
It was so awesome I shared it with the neighbors and they loved it too!
5 C of popped popcorn (about 2 microwavable popcorn bags)
1 C Butter
1 C Sugar
1 C Corn Syrup
3 C Marshmallows
1 Pinch of Magic
1 (5 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 t Vanilla
Rainbow Sprinkles or Rainbow Sugar
1. In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, cook the butter, corn syrup, and sugar, stirring constantly until melted.
2. Add Marshmallows. Continue stirring until marshmallows are melted into the mixture.
3. Add sweetened condensed milk; stir until smooth.
4. Remove from heat and add vanilla and Magic.
5. Pour over popped popcorn; stir to mix.6. Let cool 10 min and garnish with Rainbow Sprinkles or Rainbow Sugar.
1 package of cherry Jello
1 can of lychees drained and rinsed
Prepare Jello as directed on the box then pour the drained and rinsed lychees into the liquid Jello.
Refrigerate 2 hours to set.
Post a Comment